Introducing the all new 2012 Catrike Road
Posted by Joe Reichert on March 12, 2012
The 2012 Catrike Road has been designed, engineered and built with the utmost attention to detail. Our goal was to achieve solid performance and the ride-quality expected of a Catrike, but with a layer of comfort and shock absorption. The deadline was to achieve perfection, not an arbitrary date. The result is a fast and truly stunning looking trike, weighing 38 pounds with incredible handling and comfort.
The swing arm, with a high travel rate, pivots on an oversized hollow alloy axle, actuating the air shock in a progressive manner through a linkage system that pivots through the frame, unique to this trike, providing both a total shock absorption and a very high torsion stiffness. Thanks to applying the fundamentals of motorcycle suspension design, our anti-squat geometry (intersection of the swing arm and chain line is at a proper location in reference to the line between the contact patch of the rear tire and center of gravity at wheel base length) transfers all pedal power to the rear wheel with the frame perfectly rigid. "Basically when you ride the new Catrike Road, you can't tell that there is suspension because is so efficient, but if you hit a bump you won't feel it either".
Through bold design choices and careful structural and computer analysis, we were able to design a gorgeous architectural "see through" swing arm, that is 100% CNC machined, very light weight, strong, stiff and durable. The new Road has 15 new unique CNC machined parts and the assembly is done with a total of 12 teflon coated bearings to avoid any metal on metal contact at the joints. This results in zero stitcheon (static friction), providing the “silk like” feel or "hidden quality" we are always striving for. All of the pivot housing is designed and machined in the style of "fork" brackets for a perfect fit and zero play between the bearings and pivots, providing a maintenance free assembly.
On top of all that, we put a lot of focus on choosing the right shock, one with a custom spring rate specifically selected for our weight distribution and suspension kinematics for a controlled jounce and rebound of the suspension. The trike comes complete with high end 100% SRAM components, including a Monarch air shock that includes a special air pump for adjustment for different weight and equipped with rebound dampening control, perfect for taking the roughness out of high frequency uneven surfaces.
The new Catrike Road is a truly great trike, but we think it will speak for itself!
- Lightweight aluminium frame with adjustable seat back
- Rear Progressive Linkage Suspension (developed by Catrike R and D Team) Total Length Varies
- Total Width 33′′ (838 mm)
- Total Height 25′′ (635 mm)
- Bracket Height 15′′ (381 mm)
- Seat Angle 39° –47° (from horizontal)
- Seat Height 9.25′′ (235 mm)
- Seat Width 14′′ (355 mm)
- Wheel Base 41.5′′ (1055 mm)
- Wheel Track 29′′ (737 mm)
- Turning Circle 16′ (4.88 m)
- Turning Radius 8′ (2.44 m)
- Ground Clearance 4′′ (100 mm)
- Front Wheels 406 (20′′)
- Rear Wheel 406 (20′′)
- Weight 37 lbs (16.8 kg)
- Rider Weight Limit 275 lbs (125 kg)
- Shock Rockshox Monarch R Brakes Avid BB7 Disc Brakes Brake Levers Avid Speed Dial Front Derailleur Microshift Rear Derailleur SRAM X7 Shifters SRAM SX7
- Crankset Elita 165mm Triple
- Bottom Bracket Truvativ GXP external Chainrings 30/39/52
- Chainring Super Guard Catrike Logo Cassette SRAM PG 950 9-SPD 11-32 Chain KMC X9
- Idler TerraCycle Sport
- Headsets Cane Creek
- Front Tires Schwalbe Marathon Racer Rear Tire Schwalbe Marathon Racer
Available May 2012.